In the summer of 2018, the Vallanca Town Council unveiled the renovated La Tosca Mill, a historic building that shines a light on part of the history of this town in Rincón de Ademuz. In addition to the cultural heritage value added through the recovery and renovation of its original machinery, it has also been fully equipped as an exhibition space for the town.
Until very recently, mills were part of the transformation industry and were fundamental for the economy. They were used for converting grain into flour, which was used both for human and animal consumption.
According to historical documents, there was just a single mill in Ademuz until the end of the 16th century, the Royal Mill, which goes back to the end of the 13th century at the very latest, from which point it was managed by royal officials. Royal prerogative dictated that all of the grain in the area must be milled here at this mill. At the end of the 16th century, the Molino de la Villa, as it was later known, was no longer fit to serve a population in constant growth and so in 1593, a license was granted to build a new mill and bread oven in Vallanca. Around 1595, the new Royal Mill in Vallanca began operating, as confirmed by the presence of the coat of arms bearing four stripes on the outer wall.
However, in olden times, Vallanca was home to several mills, not just the Royal Mill. One of these is La Tosca Mill, which takes its name from the tuff stone that was found all over the area and was used for the building’s construction.
It was a working mill until the beginning of the 1980s, and the last millers to work there were Evaristo Rodríguez Férriz and his wife, Adelina Sánchez Millán. Beside the building, you can still see the pond where water was stored.